KlezKanada is a wonderful retreat held in late August about an hour north of Montreal, with an exceptional faculty, programming and schedule. Click the name for more information. The video and banner photo are from AskAbigailProductions. They have a fabulous youth scholarship program as well.
Yidstock: The Festival of New Yiddish Music July
Yidstock: The Festival of New Yiddish Music brings the best in klezmer and new Yiddish music to the stage at the Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, Massachusetts. Don't miss out on what promises to be a great festival of music and related events. The annual Yidstock takes place—rain or shine—at the Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, Massachusetts in July.
KlezFest in London
KlezFest during August in London. Click the name and then Events for details.
- Traditional klezmer; history, melodies, ornamentation, dance and accompaniment
- Play music in ensembles and delve into improvisational techniques
- Interpret scores, jam and perform to the public.
- Lectures from the cutting edge of academic research
- Hands-on tutoring from world leading experts.
KlezCalifornia has a year-round program featuring concerts, dances, education, Yiddish conversation. If you're in the Bay Area, check it out. Click the name to go to their website.
Living Traditions is the granddaddy of the klezmer revival. KlezKamp thrived in New York for 30 years, and now the program is centered in Madison, WI. Check out their website for their comprehensive klezmer links, CDs, books, and more.
KlezKamp now a part of Ashokan music and dance camps
Students of all instruments are invited to an immersion in an intensive and informal environment for learning traditional Yiddish music and dance from some of the world’s great masters
In the 1980s when Henry Sapoznik taught old-time banjo at Ashokan Fiddle & Dance Camp, he got the idea to create a similar camp for traditional Yiddish music and dance. His event was called “KlezKamp” and for 30 years its Catskill location was the source of teaching of Yiddish music, dance, and deep cultural connection.
Now KlezKamp returns to the Catskills—to the location that was its inspiration!
Ashokan KlezKamp is aimed at those comfortable with their instrument and excited to explore the deeper dimensions of old-time klezmer music in a close-up and intimate environment. Classes will explore dance tune forms (bulgars, zhoks, shers, etc.) improvisational doinas, sessions on rhythmic ensemble accompaniment, fiddle and voice, Yiddish vaudeville songs, couples/circle/square dances, jams, lectures and much more.
KlezmerQuerque is a klezmer festival held in Albuquerque in February. Click on the name and search the calendar for KlezmerQuerque. This synagogue has a lot of klezmer events during the year as well.
Yiddish Yokh (Youth for Yiddish) of Yugntruf in August continuing the tradition of a great deal of baseball (in Yiddish) will take place in Copake, New York.
Yivo hosts many events of interest to those who love Yiddish, especially if you happen to be in New York.
Yiddish Book Center
1. Steiner Summer Yiddish Program for college students. A seven-week intensive course in Yiddish language & culture for college students June to July. At the Yiddish Book Center, Amherst, Massachusetts.
2. Yidstock: The Festival of New Yiddish Music. In July at the Yiddish Book Center, Amherst, Massachusetts. (also some lectures on Yiddish culture).
3. Yiddish School, a week of language learning, lectures, sing-alongs, workshops, and performances. At the Yiddish Book Center, Amherst, Massachusetts.
Workmen's Circle presents an unforgettable week of language and culture immersion includes classes, music, theater, singing and dancing, boating and swimming on Sylvan Lake—all just 70 miles from New York City. August.